Sunday, March 31, 2013

My GT Experience

Today, I will be sharing on my GT experience, which was the first graded presentation of this module. I was pretty excited to work with the other 3 of my team mates, as it was my first time working with them.

Our team met up quite often to discuss on the content to include in the presentation. Being the second group to present, I was initially quite worried as the first group did a really good job in delivering the content.

This GT was a great experience for me as there were many first(s). It was the first time I attempted not using a script for the presentation and I was glad I took the risk, as the feedback given to me was that I did not sound like I was reading from the script in my mind. It was also the first presentation that I received numerous honest and critical feedback from my peers, which I felt was a refreshing experience. The feedback I received was that my hand gestures appeared to be constrained, as my hand gestures were constrained within a small box. This made my presentation look less natural. I was glad that my peers pointed that out as it was an area that I could work on. After watching the video of myself, I agreed with the feedback and that I appeared to be a tad too stiff. Also, I felt that I did not give sufficient pauses during the presentation, and another feedback i received was that I was going on and on without pauses. Lastly, there were some comments that the presentation slides had too much animations which could be distracting.

All in all, the GT experience was a good one, where I learnt about my areas of weaknesses. I am definitely keeping those feedback in mind in my future presentations.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you, Liquan, for this clear, concise and critical reflection. You do a good job of focusing on key aspects of your experience. I like the way you elaborate on the various "firsts," including your brave decision not to memorize a script. I think that the result was a good presentation, one that could be improved, of course, but one whose info seemed internalized nonetheless.

    We've talked about how you can "step up" your delivery by adopting a more "relaxed" pose, allowing your naturally effervescent personality to shine through more. I look forward to seeing how you approach your final presentation. I'm confident that you will be able to achieve the balance required to bridge the gap between a stage persona and your more natural "self," in this way engaging the audience not just with the strengths of your ideas but also through a rapport in line with your usual warm demeanor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey liquan

    you have a warm and friendly personality, and it is great that you have allowed it to be shown when you present - through eye contact, smiling and engaging with the audience.

    i do hope that your assessor will be able to see this wonderful trait of yours this thurs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Brad and Jia Hui! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Liquan,

    I'm sorry you couldn't join us today. I have wanted to give you special thanks for coordinating the video-taping.

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete